The international Helen Lansdowne Resor (HLR) Scholarship supports and promotes talented female creative advertising students from around the world in honor of the industry’s first female copywriter, Helen Lansdowne Resor. The program will run through 2020.
Dating back to the early 1900s, Helen was an industry pioneer, credited with sparking celebrity testimonial campaigns with her use of endorsements from socialites, European royalty, and actresses in her work for Pond’s Cold Cream. Helen Lansdowne Resor’s creative capacity helped to push the barriers and shatter traditional formulas of advertising.
Helen was a working mother and ardent feminist who championed the advancement of women’s rights both inside and outside of the agency. During her tenure, J. Walter Thompson was known as the “Women’s Agency,” where bright young talented females were given opportunities that had been traditionally offered exclusively to men.
Each year, the HLR Scholarship seeks to award five female creative students scholarships up to $10,000. In addition, each recipient will receive a paid summer internship at a J. Walter Thompson office in her respective region, an offer of a J. Walter Thompson mentor and “first look” placement consideration upon graduation.
ABOUT J. WALTER THOMPSON COMPANY
J. Walter Thompson Company, the world’s best-known marketing communications brand, has been creating pioneering solutions that build enduring brands and businesses for more than 150 years. Headquartered in New York City, J. Walter Thompson is a true global network with more than 200 offices in over 90 countries, employing nearly 12,000 communications and advertising professionals. The agency consistently ranks among the top networks in the world and continues a dominant presence in the industry. For more information, please visit www.jwt.comand follow us @JWT_Worldwide.
ABOUT THE 4A’S
Founded in 1917, the 4A’s is the national trade association representing the advertising agency business in the United States.
It is a management-oriented association that offers its members the broadest possible services, expertise and information regarding the advertising agency business. Its membership produces approximately 80 percent of the total advertising volume placed by agencies nationwide.
The average 4A’s agency has been a member for more than 20 years and a dozen agencies can trace their memberships back to the group of 111 agencies that founded the 4A’s in 1917. As a national trade association, the 4A’s is bound and strengthened by its own constitution and set of bylaws, mission statement and standards of practice. These rules have been formally reviewed and approved by the 4A’s Board of Directors and membership as a whole.
ABOUT THE 4A’S FOUNDATION
Established in 1997, the 4A’s Foundation was created to galvanize the industry around improving the level of diversity within advertising and media agencies. For almost 20 years, the Foundation has been providing financial support to multicultural individuals studying advertising, media, and/or the creative arts, as well as resources to programs and initiatives in New York City that cover the following categories for our industry: Education, Employment, Outreach, Engagement and Retention. Simultaneously, it engages colleges, universities and recognized portfolio schools, which help identify high potential students willing and able to make a difference in our community.
TO BE ELIGIBLE, AN APPLICANT MUST:
- Be female
- Be registered as a student at a participating undergraduate and/or portfolio school and be no less than 12 months from completion of their degree at May 14, 2017
- Show creative talent and promise
- Maintain satisfactory academic and creative progress as determined by their school
- Application form
- Personal statement (500 words or less)
- Letter of recommendation from a faculty member
- 3-5 maximum creative samples (less than 7 MB) showcasing your best work
- Ensure that all required creative samples are uploaded or made accessible via a link (Google Drive, Dropbox, portfolio website, etc.) and include this link in your submission
All applications must be submitted by Sunday, May 14, 2017.
TERMS OF SCHOLARSHIP
- Scholarships are paid directly to the university/portfolio school you are attending
- Tuition payments will be made until the scholarship balance reaches zero or when the recipient graduates
- Reimbursement payments by J. Walter Thompson will not be made for tuition already paid by the student prior to being awarded the HLR Scholarship.
Click here to apply