GlaxoSmithKline seeks to recruit Communication And Government Affairs Executive. The basic qualification for this role is a Bachelors Degree and the deadline for application is June 30, 2017.
- Candidate must have excellent communication skills – written and spoken are extremely important
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience
- The role requires very Strong communications expertise and experience (Verbal & Written)
- Communications generalist with extensive experience of all corporate disciplines and a track record of working across digital platforms
- Strategic thinker with potential to devise and deliver long term, complex internal and external communication projects involving diverse businesses, functions and cultures across a variety of markets
- Ability to operate in a challenging consumer media environment with proven ability to communicate confidently with national and broadcast media (traditional and digital) on consumer issues
- Proven issues management/crisis competency with the ability to operate calmly and effectively under pressure and deliver communications needs against tight time frames; must demonstrate sound judgment and decision-making skills and be able to deal with ambiguity and handle sensitive situations
- Strong interpersonal skills with the personal and professional authority and credibility to influence and advise senior management and operate across all hierarchies; leadership potential
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage PR agencies or other Agencies.
- Understand the fundamentals of engaging key Government stakeholders.
- Establish solid connection and communication with Cx, Rx and GMS Regional and Global Communications team
- Establish and maintain solid relationships and communication with the GSK Consumer Healthcare Shareholders.
Job Description Summary
Communications: Develops, plans, designs, maintains and implements internal and external communiactions and engagement programs that enhance the organisation’s relations with the community, government and regulatory authorities, shareholders and employees. Delivers communications through various media. Counsels senior leaderson comms strategy, change and engagement. Builds reputation, managed crises and issues, builds GSK brand.
CGA is an integrated global support function providing communications and government affairs expertise to the business. In keeping with the Global CGA strategy, the purpose of this role is to help the business to which it is aligned deliver its Winning Formula by driving equity and engagement through industry leading communications and strategic Government Engagements. The role supports the CGA Director, with whom overall responsibility for the Country’s communications and Government Affairs strategy sits and deputises in his absence.
The role supports the Nigeria Consumer Healthcare, Pharmaceuticals, Vaccines and GMS Businesses:
- Provides communications expertise based on an expert understanding of the local external and internal environment
- Protects and maintains the reputation of GSK as a whole and serves as an ambassador for the GSK brand
- Maximizes the performance of Cx and Rx brands through the brilliant delivery of integrated earned media campaigns, either in-house or via external agencies
- Drives performance through engagement, attraction and retention
- In partnership with the CGA Director and deputising in his absence, supports the GM and their leadership team on key projects requiring strategic communications input and government engagement.
- Provides timely and valuable information that supports the GSK strategic priorities. Whenever possible, a particular emphasis will be made to highlight GSK’s initiatives in building trust with external stakeholders.
- Areas of focus are Corporate Responsibility and Community Partnerships, Internal Communications, Media Relations, Product Communications support, Crisis/Issues Management and Government
- Supports GSK’s reputation through effective, proactive and reactive management of media issues.
- Protects our reputation by flagging issues early and managing them effectively. Support others to do same.
- Provides a comprehensive media monitoring, analysis and distribution service.
- Responsible for facilitating media training and managing media policies.
- Reputation and Stakeholder Management
- Demonstrates that GSK Nigeria understands its stakeholder expectations and these are factored into business planning and operations.
- Positions GSK Nigeria as a leading provider of healthcare solutions.
- Provides advice on strategic stakeholder communications
- Provides the business with research based evidence to inform strategic reputation decision-making.
- Corporate Brand Integrity & Daughter Brand Support
- Protects and build the value of the GSK brand by managing its integrity both internally and externally.
- Internal Communications & Engagement
- Supports business in ensuring major change projects are effective because GSK Nigeria people are informed and well-engaged
- Maintains a set of effective employee communication tools, eg, All-Hands Meeting, e-Newsletter, myGSK, ADC articles.
- Community Activity Programme
- Builds recognition that GSK is a responsible corporate citizen that is actively involved in the Nigerian community.
- Ensures the community activity programmes is managed and communicated to maximise the reputation value to external and internal stakeholders.
- Manages the global GSK Community Council, including promotion of Orange Day, PULSE and Orange United.
- Crisis / Issues Management
- Provides a framework and maintains rapid and consistent flow of reliable information, both within the company and externally, to ensure that issues are fully addressed and aid a smooth return to normal operations as soon as possible.
Government Stakeholder Engagement:
- Maintain strategic stakeholder mapping for relevant sectors impacting the GSK business
- Maintain GSK engagement and relationships with key government stakeholders.
- Lead the planning for GSK meetings with key stakeholders.
Accountability and Complexity
- Simultaneously manage numerous concurrent projects, not all of which will be in the role holder’s control i.e. corporate reputation and issues management (this will require a constant reassessment of priorities and the ability to remain focused on outputs that deliver a clear business benefit)
- Interface with a high number of stakeholders, both external e.g. media, government departments, regulatory bodies, etc and internal. In a highly-matrix and complex environment, strong, positive relationships need to be fostered within the Cx, Rx businesses and wider GSK organization across a range of functions including, but not limited to, Legal & Compliance, Medical, Regulatory, Government Affairs, Consumer Relations, Investor Relations and Global Media. The broad nature of the role requires matrix working on nearly all projects
- Operate in an environment with a high degree of change that is fast-paced, requiring resilience and flexibility
- The role not only needs to support the development and implementation of the Area communications strategy but also to manage resources efficiently and engage various teams/functions smoothly to implement programs and projects to execute the defined strategy
- High energy, good personal credibility, strong communication skills and the ability to operate in an often high-pressure environment are therefore essential
- Relationship with government agencies, shareholders, and communities.