The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), established on May 28 1975 via the treaty of Lagos, is a 15-member regional group with a mandate of promoting economic integration in all fields of activity of the constituting countries.
ECOWAS is recruiting accountants for the following roles: Accountant (Receivables), Accountant (Payables & Advances) and Accountant (Treasury Management) at its headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria.
Application deadline for each role is August 31, 2017.
The following details are for the role: Accountant (Receivables).
Duration: Two years (with extension subject to “Staff Regulation” of the ECOWAS Commission, satisfactory performance and availability of funds)
Duty Station: ECOWAS Commission, Abuja, Nigeria
|Job Title||Accountant (Receivables)|
|Experience||5 – 8 years|
|Minimum Qualification||University Degree B.SC or B.A|
|Application Closes||Thursday, 31 August 2017|
Job Objective: Reporting directly to the Senior Accountant (Receivables), the Accountant has a responsibility for the execution of financial policies and regulations relating to the recording of amounts due to the Commission and to follow up and regularize any advances due from staff and other debtors. The incumbent will be required to ensure all ledger reconciliations and maintain an up to date record of all accounts.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise and produce the requisite monthly, quarterly and annual statements of all receivables due to the ECOWAS Commission;
- Follow up on staff and other debtor ledgers with a view to collecting and regularizing all amounts due to the ECOWAS;
- Supervise and review posting of transactions into the accounting software;
- Liaise with staff and other debtors to ensure that all outstanding amounts are settled promptly on their due dates;
- Ensure efficient and effective functioning and maintenance of the accounting software.
- Check and certify the accuracy of the receivable ledgers and ensure reconciliation from any discrepancies observed;
- Supervise subordinate staff working on reconciliation statements and ensure that they are provided with all the logistics needed for the proper accomplishment of the job;
- Perform other related duties as required;
General Description: a major responsibility of this position is performing and managing the daily, weekly and monthly financial activities that are required for the proper preparation of financial statements.
The Accountant will be responsible for generating accurate, timely and complete financial statements on receivables in accordance with the Financial Regulations.
In addition, the accountant would spend time on the supervision of the work of his/her subordinates including providing solutions on regularisation of advances and recovery of amounts due from debtors. Providing guidance and motivating and mentoring staff would be important to the success of this position.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting (or equivalent qualification) with additional 5 years of relevant record of professional experience. Being a professional accountant (CPA, ACCA, CIMA, CA etc.) will be an added advantage.
- A higher degree will reduce the number of years of experience to three (3);
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (fluent) in one of the official languages of the ECOWAS Community (English, French and Portuguese). Good working knowledge of a second Community language will be an added advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of financial accounting principles and concepts including the International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS). Experience with EU Pillar Assessment on Internal Control and Accounting will be an added advantage.
- Good knowledge of general aspects of financial management software and of at least one ERP software. Previous specific experience with SAP will be an asset.
- Ability to operate standard Microsoft office software (Word, Excel, Power Point, Access)
- Good inter-personal skills and team working ability necessary to enable effective interaction in performing key financial activities of other team members and supervise their works, including peers. Proven record of experience in multicultural environments will be an added advantage
- Ability to set and meet deadlines including strong ability to manage multiple tasks to completion and with set deadlines.
- Ability to make recommendations on key financial and managerial issues
Click here to get details for Accountant (Payables & Advances) and Accountant (Treasury Management), and to apply.